Utah Tech University

Academic Advisement

UT Academic Advisors guide students to take ownership of their education as they make decisions to engage in active learning and live an active life.

Advising Appointments

Our academic advisors offer virtual (Zoom) appointments along with in-person appointments. Please note: Not all services may be available for all academic advisors in both formats. You can schedule an appointment with an advisor using the free Navigate Student app or through the Navigate website.

If you are trying to make the appointment through the Navigate website, you will need to sign in with your d number with a lower case d. Please note: We recommend using an incognito mode in your browser so that your cookies from other UT sites don’t automatically add a capital D.

Download the App
Google Play | App Store


Utah Tech has an advisor who can help you as you choose your major and start on your path to graduation. Our advisors are trained to answer your questions, and they’re knowledgeable about your area of study. Find out which advisor you can reach out to for guidance.


Learn More


Learn More

Academic Advisement Student Feedback Survey

Click this link to tell us about your experience

“Every time I have gone to see my advisor, I have learned something new that helps me in my academic life and allows me to be a better scholar. Even if I have just gone in to make sure all my ducks are in a row, my advisor has encouraged me and overall helped me be better than I was before I went in.” – Karen Y., Utah Tech student, about her experience with academic advisor, Cindy Clark

Degree Works

Check or track your progress in your degree.

View Degree Works

Find your major at UT

Learn about your options and how you can prepare for your chosen major.

Explore Majors

Apply for Graduation

Ready to graduate? Start your application today.

Graduation Information

Information for students

Important documents and information for students at Utah Tech.

Student Forms

Helpful links

Find information on general programs, help desks, and other Utah Tech services.

Find Information

Become a peer advisor

Learn more about our peer advisor work-study positions in the Academic Advisement Center.

Start Now

Advisor training

Learn how our advisors prepare to help students on their journey at Utah Tech.

Learn More


Who is my Academic Advisor? Where are they located?

Your assigned academic advisor is primarily based on your degree program/major/area of study or your advisor can be determined by your participation in a particular student support or success program. More information can be found here.

Do I need to see my advisor?

In short, YES! Your academic advisor is a source of extremely important information. Your advisor can help you with many various topics, including: Registering for courses, major exploration, study skills, degree planning, and troubleshooting issues you’ve had at the university. Advisement is generally vital in helping students graduate in a timely manner as well. The Academic Advisement Center is happy to assist you with these and other issues.

How do I check my degree progress?

There are several ways to check your progress toward a degree, with the two most common being meeting with an academic advisor or checking your degree audit through degree works. General Education/Exploratory students can schedule a meeting with their advisor by calling the Academic Advisement (AAC) center at 435-652-7690, or by using the instant message feature on the AAC website found here. Students with a declared major can contact their major advisor to check their degree progress.

Students can also log into Degree Works at degreeworks.utahtech.edu. Degree Works will show your progress toward your current major.

How do I check my grades during the semester? How do I check my final grades?

While there’s no official way to check grades during the semester, many professors will put in-progress grade information on Canvas. Midterm and final grades will be posted on your transcript and in the midterm and final grades links on your student account.

What should I do when I’m falling behind in a class?

Use the resources that are available to you! The Academic Performance Center (tutoring center), writing center, and your academic advisor are great resources to help you get caught up.

What majors and degrees are offered at UT?

You can find more information on all the UT majors here.

What is the difference between a major and a minor?

Your major is the main field of study that you’ll specialize in during your time at UT. Your major is also generally aligned with your chosen career field. A minor is an additional course of study that generally goes along with your major. Many students will pick a minor because of personal interest or additional resume experience it will give them.

How do I know what courses I need for my major?

Each degree program will include the UT General Education requirements, as well as your major requirements. Your advisor can help you plan your time at UT to make sure that you’ll finish your degree in the most effective way.

How do I know what books I need for courses?

You can find out what books you need by going to the bookstore’s textbook search site. You’ll have to know what semester your classes are in (Fall 20XX), what department your classes are taught in (ENGL), and the course name, number, and section number (Engl 1010, 01).

Should I work while I go to school?

Many of our students find that they can work a part-time job (15 hours per week or less) and go to school full-time. This may not hold true for all students because of the time commitment required from a full-time course load. A full-time course load should take 12 hours per week in the classroom, with approximately 24-36 hours of homework, study, project and test preparation time per week.

How many hours per week should I work?

Many students find that they can work around 15-20 hours per week.

What’s a good job for a college student?

There are many jobs that are great for college students, but you should be looking for something that will be flexible with your school schedule and will have set amount of hours per week. UT’s student job board has jobs from employers that want to hire students and understand their school commitments.

How do I get a job on campus?

Most of the available on-campus jobs are listed on the UT student job board, so go there to see about some great jobs!

What do I need to do to take classes if I have been academically suspended?

Please fill out the Reinstatement Request form prior to the first day of the semester that you would like to take classes. Realize that if it has been more than a year since you have taken classes at UT you are no longer an active student and will also need to reapply to UT as a returning student.

Reinstatement Request Form

What is Canvas? What is it used for?

Canvas is a system where professors can upload course content, syllabus information, a calendar for the course, and other vital information. Your professor can also put grade information and communicate with you through Canvas.

What is FERPA? How can I have someone access my educational records?

FERPA stands for Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. FERPA is a federal law that prohibits UT from releasing your personal information, grades and schedule to anyone. You can fill out an information release form to allow a third party to access this information and act on your behalf.

How soon should I provide my documentation to the Disability Resource Center (DRC)?

The short answer is as soon as possible. The DRC needs time to verify your documentation and prepare accommodations for you.

What’s the difference between on-campus and off-campus housing?

On-campus housing is owned and managed by UT, and follows all UT policies. Off-campus housing, while possibly close to campus, is owned and operated by a third party. Some on-campus housing, such as Nisson Towers and Shiloh Hall, will require you to purchase a meal plan from campus dining services. Amenities and prices will vary, so be sure to research your options.

What should I expect to pay for housing?

Depending on where you live, you should expect to pay anywhere from $1150 to $2000+ per semester. Some options may require a meal plan.

How do I post my AP scores? What does it cost?

Information on AP credit can be found here. The registrar’s office has a posting fee of $25 per AP test for AP credit.

How do I transfer my concurrent enrollment credit from another school?

All you need to do is have an official transcript sent to UT from the institution that granted the concurrent enrollment credit.

How do I pay my tuition online?

You can pay your tuition through your myUT account. The steps are as follows:

  • Click the “student records” link
  • Click “make payment & Account Summary”
  • Scroll to the bottom of the page and click “make online payment”
  • Select the appropriate term
  • Input your payment amount
  • You’ll then be directed to the payment area

When is tuition due?

You can find specific dates for each semester here.

How do I sign up for the tuition payment plan?

You can sign up for the tuition payment plan here.

Where do I buy a parking permit? Do I even need one?

You can buy a parking permit online at parking.utahtech.edu. If you’ve got a car, you’ll probably want one.

How often should I check my student email account?

Your student email account will be the primary source of communication from the university, so it’s wise to check your email frequently. You’ll receive updates on activities, parking lot closures, emergencies, deadlines, and other important notices in your student email account. You’ll also receive notifications for the electronic waiting list if you’re registered on a waiting list for a course. It’s important, so check it often!

How do I make my personal email my primary email account?

You can check out a step-by-step guide on how to change your primary email account here. If you run into problems, you can contact the UT help desk at (435) 879-4357 or through email at: helpdesk@utahtech.edu.

Please include your full name, student ID number, and phone number when contacting the Helpdesk.

Office Hours


  • Closed.


  • 8:00 am - 5:00 pm


  • 8:00 am - 5:00 pm


  • 8:00 am - 5:00 pm


  • 8:00 am - 5:00 pm


  • 8:00 am - 5:00 pm


  • Closed.


If you have questions about your advisor or your experience at Utah Tech, reach out! We’re ready to help.

Who To Contact

Academic Advisement

Email: advisement@utahtech.edu

Phone: 435-652-7690

Office: Holland Centennial Commons, 1st Floor